Cauliflower with Zesty Cheese SaucePrint Category Cauliflower Thematic Stove Less than 60 minutes. Source Dairy goodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) Milk, heated
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 1 stalk broccoli, cut into florets (about 6 cups/1.5 L)
- 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Monterey Jack, with hot peppers or Canadian Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh chives or hot red pepper flakes
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; bring to simmer, whisking constantly. Simmer, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Do not boil.
- Meanwhile, add cauliflower and broccoli to salted water, cover, return to a boil and cook 2 to 4 minutes or until tender crisp and a bright colour. Drain well.
- Remove saucepan from heat; stir in cheese and salt. Stir until cheese is melted. Pour over cauliflower and broccoli. Toss gently but thoroughly. Sprinkle with chives.
Prep. Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Yields: 12 servings
With a bit of heat from the Monterey Jack cheese with hot peppers, this sauce is delicious with mellow cauliflower and broccoli.
Don't overcook the vegetables, particularly if you are reheating them later.