Canadian Gouda and Leek PotagePrint Category Leek Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced leeks (white part only)
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped cremini (sometimes called brown) or white mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cans (10 oz/284 mL) condensed chicken or beef broth
- 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) water
- 6 slices rye bread, toasted, cut in thirds
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Canadian Gouda* cheese
- Melt butter in large saucepan; sauté leeks, mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium-high heat, 5 minutes or until soft. Remove from heat; blend in flour.
- Gradually stir in broth and water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place soup, part at a time, in blender container. Cover and blend at high speed until vegetables are finely chopped. Add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle soup into 6 ovenproof soup bowls. Top each with three pieces of toast and about 1/3 cup (75 mL) Canadian Gouda cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and slightly browned, about 4 minutes.