Cairo Lentil SoupPrint Category Bean Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground cumin
- 2 tsp (10 mL) ground coriander
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry red lentils
- 3 cups (750 mL) vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) tomato juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Chopped fresh coriander
- In large saucepan, sauté onion, garlic and tomatoes in butter for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add ginger, cumin and coriander. Cook for another 4 minutes while stirring.
- Stir in lentils, broth, milk, tomato juice and lemon juice. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 40 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Season to taste with cayenne, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- In food processor, purée soup mixture. Heat soup in saucepan and serve immediately in individual bowls and garnish with fresh coriander.