Garden Vegetable SoupPrint Category Vegetable Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 each, carrots and stalks celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3/4 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled or dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3 cups Milk
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli or frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- In large pot, melt Butter over medium heat; cook garlic, carrots, celery, onion and rosemary, stirring, for 5 min or until onions are softened. Stir in vegetable stock and potatoes; bring to boil over high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 8 min or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Stir in tomatoes and tomato paste; cook, covered, for 5 min or until tomatoes are softened. Increase heat to medium. Whisk flour into Milk; gradually stir into pot. Stir in broccoli. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 5 min or until broccoli is tender-crisp. Stir in spinach just until wilted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4 to 6 servings
Tips: For the Adventurous:
Add 1 cup (250 mL) diced fennel with onion, 1 chopped roasted red pepper and 1 cup (250 mL) halved sugar snap peas in place of broccoli. Ladle soup into an ovenproof bowl, sprinkle with shredded Canadian Gruyère cheese; broil before serving.