Festive Carrot Layer CakePrint Category Carrots Thematic No thematic Source Five Roses Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) crushed pineapple in juice
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded carrots
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins or chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Five Roses All Purpose White Flour*
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Five Roses Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Magic® Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cinnamon
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each: allspice and salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each: nutmeg and baking soda
- 1 pkg (250 g) regular or light cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 mL)icing sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) NutriWhip® Whip Topping Regular or Light
- Grease two 9in (23 cm) round layer cake pans and line bottoms with wax paper. Reserve 1/4 cup (50 mL) drained crushed pineapple for garnish.
- In large bowl, combine remaining undrained pineapple, carrots, brown sugar, yogurt, raisins, oil and egg. In another bowl, mix dry cake ingredients. Stir flour mixture into pineapple mixture, stirring until blended. Spread evenly in prepared pans.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for 25-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack 10 minutes; then turn out of pans and remove wax paper. Cool completely.
- In mixer bowl, beat cream cheese, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth. Gradually beat in whip topping and continue beating until thickened and fluffy. Spread half of frosting over 1 cake layer on serving plate; top with second layer and remaining frosting. Garnish with reserved pineapple and additional nuts, if desired. Store in refrigerator.
Variation: May be prepared in greased 13x9in (33x23 cm) baking pan for 30-35 minutes.
*You can substitute any of Five Roses Flours (White, Never Bleached or with Wheat Bran) cup for cup.