Country Asparagus Cream SoupPrint Category Asparagus Thematic No thematic Source dairygoodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1/2 lb (250 g) asparagus, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) water
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 1 celery stalk, sliced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dry tarragon
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk or cream 15 %
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 2 boiled eggs, chopped
- In large saucepan of boiling water, cook asparagus for 5 minutes or until tender-crisp. Drain asparagus and reserve cooking water. Cut spears and set aside for garnish.
- In same saucepan, bring to boil reserved water, broth, onion and celery. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add asparagus stalks and tarragon and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Purée mixture in food processor and return to saucepan. Stir in milk and heat through, stirring occasionally.
- In heavy saucepan, melt butter and stir in flour. Cook while stirring constantly for 3 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup (250 mL) of asparagus soup, stirring until mixture thickens. Stir butter mixture into saucepan of asparagus soup and season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with asparagus spears and serve hot in soup bowls. Top with chopped boiled eggs.