Simple Tomato SaucePrint Category Tomatoes sauce Thematic No thematic Source Recettes Quebecoises Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) whole tomatoes
- 2 cans (5-1/2 oz/156 mL each) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 2 fresh basil sprigs
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and garlic until softened and translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, breaking up with spoon. Stir in tomato paste, water, basil, parsley, bay leaves and salt bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, covered and stirring frequently to prevent scorching, for 30 minutes. Discard bay leaves, basil and parsley.
Yields: 8 cups
Serving Size: 1/4 cup