Shaker Rhubarb PiePrint Category Rhubarb Thematic No thematic Source Saveur.com Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
FOR THE CRUST
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 10 tbsp. cold butter, cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 lb. rhubarb stalks, cut into 1" pieces
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
For the crust
- Sift together flour and salt into a bowl. Use 2 knives to work butter and shortening into flour until it resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle in up to 5 tbsp. ice water, stirring dough with a fork until it just begins to hold together. Press dough into a rough ball and transfer to a lightly floured surface. Divide dough into 2 balls, wrap both in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
For the filling
- Put rhubarb, sugar, flour, and salt into a medium mixing bowl, then use your hands to toss together, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into two 12" rounds. Fit one round into a 9" pie plate and add rhubarb. Cover pie with remaining round. Fold edges of dough under and crimp edges. Make 3-4 slits in top crust for steam to escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350° and continue to bake until crust is golden, 25-30 minutes more. Set aside to let cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.
SERVES 6 - 8