Broccoli Rice PilafPrint Category Rice Thematic No thematic Source Dairy Goodness Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) long-grain parboiled (Converted) white rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) hot vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) hot water
- 4 cups (1 L) small broccoli florets (about 1 bunch)
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Gouda, old Canadian Cheddar or Canadian Havarti cheese, divided
- In large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat; add carrots, onion, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes or onions are until softened. Stir in rice until coated in butter.
- Stir broth and hot water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Working quickly, stir broccoli into rice and replace lid. Simmer for 5 minutes longer or until rice is tender and most of liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Using a fork, gently stir in 1 cup (250 mL) of the cheese. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Combine your rice and vegetables in one easy dish. The addition of zesty cheese makes it fit for a special occasion.
Tips: To use frozen broccoli in place of fresh, let broccoli thaw and drain well. Cook rice for 20 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in broccoli and let stand as directed.
Using hot broth and water speeds up the cooking time and keeps the rice from getting mushy.