Crunchy Coconut Shrimp with Sweet Orange Marmalade SaucePrint Category Shrimps (Fry) Thematic No thematic Source Smulcker's Evaluation
You’re cooking one of our recipes? Share the pictures of your culinary masterpiece on our website for a chance to win an awesome apron from Recipes Quebecoises. There will be a draw every month.
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Smucker's® Orange Marmalade
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lime juice
- 2 tsp 10 mL Crisco® Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- Crisco® Shortening or Oil for frying
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) Robin Hood® All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) cornstarch
- 1 tsp (5 mL) jerk seasoning
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) crushed unsweetened shredded wheat
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded coconut
- 24 large tail shrimp, tail shell attached (about 1-1/2 lbs/725 g)
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until almost smooth, or crush ingredients with a potato masher. Place mixture in a small serving bowl; set aside
- Melt enough shortening or oil to equal 2" (5 cm) in a deep frying pan, or use an electric deep fryer half-filled with shortening or oil: heat to 365°F (185°C).
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, cornstarch, jerk seasoning, and paprika. Pour coconut milk into a second bowl. In a third shallow dish, combine the crushed shredded wheat and coconut. Layout cooling racks and place waxed paper underneath them to catch drippings.
- Working in assembly-line fashion, hold each shrimp by the tail, coat with the flour mixture, dip into the coconut milk and coat with the crushed shredded wheat/coconut mixture. Place shrimp on a rack and repeat process until all shrimp are coated.
- Fry 6 or 8 shrimp at a time in preheated fat for 1-2 minutes or until golden and crispy. Bring oil back to 365°F (185°C) before frying next batch. As each batch finishes, drain shrimp on a paper towel before transferring to a serving platter. Serve hot or warm with dip.
Makes: 24 shrimp
Tips: Shrimp may be prepared in advance and frozen for up to 2 weeks. To serve, defrost slightly and re-crisp in oven at 375°F (190°C).